Sunday, April 4, 2010

tl;dr

I need a guy who thinks it's cute that I drink everything with a straw.
I need a guy who doesn't mind that I'll tell him the same story a hundred times.
I need a guy who understands that sometimes, my jaw hurts. (I have TMJ disorder.)
I need a guy who doesn't judge how much Red Bull I drink (with a straw, naturally.)
I need a guy who doesn't want to push me into doing things I don't want to do.
I need a guy who understands that I describe smells by color.
I need a guy who smells a little bit red, but more like a light, rich red.
I need a guy who understands that I need space as much as I need to be cuddled to death.
I need a guy who isn't scared off by my friends.
I need a guy who doesn't like my friends more than me.
I need a guy who doesn't judge the fact that I have about fifteen blue plaid/checkered shirts.
I need a guy who likes the random little gifts I'll get for him.
I need a guy who understands that just because I listen to a lot of acoustic music, it doesn't mean I'm depressed.
I need a guy who understands the difference between Sad Alex and Tired Alex.
I need a guy who doesn't ask me 500 times if I'm "okay," he understands the first time.
I need a guy who doesn't mind that I'm a little bit messy. ...okay, a lotta bit messy.
I need a guy who understands that some things, no matter how nonsensical, are incredibly important to me.
I need a guy who doesn't mind when I don't shave my face for a few days.
I need a guy who can remember that I don't eat Olives or Fish.
I need a guy who understands that I'm not picky, I just know my likes and dislikes very well.
I need a guy who doesn't mind me blasting my music as loud as I possibly can.
I need a guy who understands that sometimes, I'm going to dance around the kitchen singing.
I need a guy who understands that when I stumble in drunk, he'd better be making me Hamburger Helper.


Did you notice something about that list? It's all about me. I didn't even specify if I want him to be taller or shorter than me. I clearly don't give two shits about him, it's all about me. My fucking God I'm egocentric, self-centered, and selfish. Christ, even my banner is just pictures of me being some kind of attractive. That list there could apply to any guy. Let me rephrase that list.

I need a guy who tolerates my total bullshit.

But you know what? I think it's because I'm confident in the fact that I can make him very, very happy. I'm good at making guys happy... but considering that for the most part I date horrible, horrible people, it's not surprising that my list is all about him paying attention to me and understanding me and loving me for who I am, not who he wants me to be. I make a wonderful boyfriend.... it's just a matter of finding someone who wants to be my wonderful boyfriend. I haven't had that happen in a long time. Everytime I get close, something goes wrong. My last boyfriend wouldn't even admit that he was my boyfriend. We were having sex, being exclusive, talking to each other every night.... but it doesn't matter, because he broke up with me. Why? Because for some reason, he didn't like a single thing about me. Long story short, he's a pretentious art-school kid and I grew up on MTV. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't make him happy, and let's be real - the "tortured soul" thing went out with Kurt Cobain. People want intelligent, moral, healthy individuals nowadays... or at least skinny. Well, I may not be skinny, but I'm intelligent, moral, and emotionally healthy. And yet I'm still single. The only guys I seem to do any sort of relating with are my less masculine straight friends. They all tell me that, if they were into dudes, they'd date the fuck out of me because I'm balls-to-the-wall awesome. I've had straight guys tell me that they wish they could find a girl version of me, that I just don't have the right naughty bits to make things work. But alas, that's neither here nor there, because they won't date me because they can't love me. It's understandable.

The worst part is, there's been a few times where I've been dating totally quality guys, and for some reason, I just can't get into them. I was briefly seeing this guy Anthony a few years ago, and honestly, he's probably one of the nicest guys I've ever dated. I really enjoyed being with him... but for some reason, I just couldn't get into it any more than that. For some reason that I still don't understand, that chemistry just wasn't there. We actually tried again this past fall, hanging out and hooking up again. I actually really enjoyed it and having him around... but there was still something lacking in the chemistry (although less so than before.) He's an even sweeter guy nowadays.
He's got an awesome boyfriend now though, so I know nothing's gonna happen with me and Anthony for a while. Even though I'm kinda starting to miss him a lot, I know that the second we start hanging out / hooking up again, I still won't feel that chemistry enough, and at this point I've probably broken his heart so many times that he wouldn't be my boyfriend even if I begged. Something about our chemistry or pheromones or something just refuses to click on my end, and it's such a shame, since he's such a killer guy. I hope that I'm friends with him for a long fucking time though.

This isn't a case of Unrequited Love Addiction, though. I've been in love, I've been in mutual relationships... I think I'm just unlucky. Guys I want just plain aren't into me... and I'm into guys a lot more often than guys are into me (and generally, the guys that are into me either don't tell me, or they're just really not people I should be dating.)

I just feel like I'm ready to be in love again, and I can't understand why it's not happening. It doesn't help that all of my friends seem to be falling into place with someone now. I, on the other hand, am perpetually single. It's just apparently what I do.

Gyar. One day. One day.

No comments:

Post a Comment