Sunday, July 5, 2009

I don't believe in Blogging...

You know what I love? When people say "I don't believe in _________."

For instance:

"I don't believe in divorce."
"I don't believe in homosexuals."
"I don't believe in Television."


...as if it requires their belief in it to exist, like Unicorns or Pixies.

Plenty of people get divorced.
Plenty of people are gay as shit.
Plenty of people (myself definitely included) watch too much television.

Now,
saying "Divorce isn't for me," or "I don't like Gay," or "The Mass Media doesn't control me" is different than "I don't believe in it."

At the same time, I know that if people read this blog (hey, I'm only on post 2), one would say "Well what about God? He exists but people don't believe in Him."
Whether you believe in God, He is abstract. You can't show someone a real, live picture of God. You can't introduce someone to God and say "see? Toldja." He's not a dead guy in the river, He's an abstract concept, no matter how real or unreal He may or may not be.


So please, don't say "I don't believe in _________" unless it makes sense, okay? That is all.

EDIT:
found this gem on OverheardEverywhere today:

Guy at party
: What are you studying in that class?

Psychology grad student: We're learning how to administer and score intelligence tests.
Girl at party: I don't believe in intelligence.

No comments:

Post a Comment