Friday, August 7, 2009

Religion in America

Religion is a real hot-button topic nowadays that's often a huge dividing line between people.

There are Atheists that won't talk to religious people, there are religious people that won't talk to atheists...
and I think everyone just needs to shut the fuck up.

But, since people will never shut the fuck up, I'm going to combat a bunch of arguments here.

Unfortunately, a lot of what I'm about to say here is against the religious - specifically Christians - but what it's really aimed at is the uneducated religious. I've met a lot of Good Christians who believe in a lot of the same principles that I do, and I (of course) believe that I am right. The people who don't believe what I believe also believe they are right - after all, why would we believe in something that we think is wrong? That's just stupid..
I'm not Atheist, but I'm not terribly religious, either. My principles come from education, logic, and life exposure instead of fear and a "moral high ground".


My #1 least favorite argument:
"If you don't believe in God, where do you get your morals from?"





Are you telling me that the only reason that you have your morals is because God said so? I certainly hope not. I have my morals because of logic and emotion. For instance, "Thou Shalt Not Kill." No-freakin'-duh. I could never kill another person (except for self-defense). Why? Because they could have a wife/husband and kid at home waiting for them. They could have parents at home hoping that their son/daughter is safe, only to find out that I've murdered them. They could have a best friend who needs him/her during a trying time. Most of all, I know that I wouldn't want to be killed, so I'm not going to go out of my way to kill someone.

This woman does a really good job of refuting a lot of these arguments.



Besides, she's hot and Russian(?)

#2 Least favorite argument
"If you don't believe in God, then what are we here for?"

Who the frack knows? That doesn't mean I'm going through life assuming I have no meaning... I don't know why I'm here yet, but I have a feeling that's not something we know until we've already done it.

#3 Least favorite argument (not for or against religion)
There's this big thing against things like Gardisil, because apparently HPV vaccinations promote rampant whorish sex in 12 year olds... oh, and autism. Nevermind the fact that it's meant for 18-22 year olds to protect them from fucking cervical cancer. Something like 1 in 4 women (I think... don't quote me) have HPV, and since guys show no symptoms, catching it isn't easily predictable.

#4 Least favorite argument against gays
"They can't have children so they go against nature"
Jesus fucking Christ. Haven't we transcended far enough as humans that our #1 goal isn't procreation? A lot of animals, like octopus, praying mantis, and elephant seals, seem to live only for procreation - Female Octopus die shortly after nurturing their eggs to hatching, praying mantis bite the heads off their male mates (similar with black widow), and male Elephant Seals don't get to mate until their last years, if at all. Aren't we above that? As humans, aren't we intelligent and productive enough to not require children in order to sustain our lives?

#5 Least favorite argument against gays
"Marriage, under God, is reserved for Straight People."
Okay here's the shizz on that. If they want their religious marriage, they can fucking have it- however, I want it called whatever it was called in the bible, whatever "Marriage" is in Ancient Latin/Greek. Modern-Day Marriage, however, is hardly a solely religious thing. It provides federal benefits. Once federal is involved, Religion no longer can be. Justices of the Peace perform weddings all the time, even on Religious folks. I, personally, don't plan on having a religious wedding, no matter how religious myself or my future husband are. For me, it just doesn't feel right. But once again, marriage isn't just a religious dealie - it's more legal than anything else.
I recently read an article written by some woman who was absolutely enraged that Gay Marriages are being counted on the 2010 census, nevermind the fact that they're legal, state recognized marriages. She provides a weak, thoroughly ungrounded slippery slope argument asking if we should count "manage-a-trois'" as well... It's clear that she hasn't done her research and doesn't understand that we're not talking about uncommitted relationships, we're talking about legally recognized marriages. Not only that, but she said that she didn't think our nation's forefathers meant the Census to be including same-sex couples... but they sure as hell didn't expect it to include interracial couples or willing couples that weren't arranged. You know what else they never expected? A black man as president. OR COMPUTERS.

::note:: we're not asking for special rights, we're asking for equal rights. We just wanna use the same water fountain, people.

Which brings us to #6
"If fags can get married, then why not let us marry 7 people? and ducks!"

a) I can sort of understand the polygamy argument - consenting adults, that sorta thing. However, the laws would have to be completely rewritten to allow for that - we'd have to figure out prenuptuals, custody, taxes; re-work all of these things for 3, 4, 5, 6, 7+ groups. Not to mention if you have a group that's like 3 girls and 2 guys, or some other mismatch. The reason a lot of people have been suing for their right to marry is because their constitution doesn't actually state that a marriage must and can only be between a man and a woman - but they were denied anyway. Either way, the laws don't have to be re-worked to allow gay marriage - simply turn "one man, one woman" into "two individuals."

b) Ducks? What the fuck? I'm so sick of this argument. Honestly. How many ways do people have to fight this? If debates were court, this argument wouldn't be allowed. Why? DUCKS AREN'T FUCKING HUMAN. They can't consent. They can't sign a marriage license. THEY DON'T USE HUMAN LANGUAGE. THEY AREN'T CITIZENS OF ANY COUNTRY AND THEREFORE DON'T EVEN HAVE THE PROPER DOCUMENTATION BECAUSE THEY'RE FUCKING DUCKS.
Inter-species marriage will never be written into law because no matter how much you love Sparky, there's no possible way Sparky can consent to a marriage or even sex you awful
person
.

For comparison's sake, remember that time they decided Pluto wasn't a planet? They had to change the rules one way or another to either include or disclude Pluto as a planet. A lot of astronomers are terribly annoyed, because it was pretty clear that the laws should have included Pluto as a planet, but they were changed to purposefully prevent it.

I just want to be a planet, y'all.

c) Don't ever say "fag." We know you're doing it to hurt us, and it's fucking rude. I'm not gonna call you a "dirty fucking cross-hugger," don't call me a fag. Got it?



In this blog, I'm not trying to say that I'm right and they're wrong.
...okay, maybe I am.
What I do respect though more than anything are the Evangelical Right's conviction. They believe what they believe and they believe it so strongly, and for that I have to commend them. In my mind they're stepping on my rights, but in their eyes, I'm stepping on theirs.
Unfortunately, in the eyes of the constitution, our rights really are being stepped on. The only remotely solid arguments against equal marriage rights involve religion, and being that this is a free country, freedom of and from religion is one of our most important rights.

That being said, I strongly believe that within Obama's 8 years of presidency, we will see Civil Unions for gay couples introduced into national law, or at least more than half of the states.
I also strongly believe that, in my lifetime, we will look back on the struggle that Gay America has faced and laugh at our stupidity, just like we do for the struggle of Black America... and, just like the struggle of Black America, Gay America will always face hatred, turmoil, violence, and fear... and just like Black America, we will do everything in our power to triumph.


Check out this episode of 30 Days about Equal Adoption Rights. It's pretty interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment